Even the most dedicated clean eaters have to admit that eating healthy sometimes means making sacrifices. This is not the case with avocado fries. These avocado fries are truly the best of both worlds. Everything you love about fries meets everything you love about avocado. Think about it: that’s a lot to love. Throw in the fact that they’re healthy and this guilt-free version of french fries is nothing short of a miracle.
You’ll love the way that golden, crispy perfection on the outside meets cool, creamy avocado on the inside. Served with spicy honey lime sauce, these avocado fries will steal the show at any party or get together. Don’t feel like sharing? We don’t blame you! There’s nothing wrong with enjoying these healthy fries as your own personal midday (or midnight) snack; no judgment here.
Crispy Oven-Baked Fries
The best fried food isn’t actually fried at all. These healthy avocado fries are oven-baked to achieve a perfectly golden, crispy exterior. Best of all, you get to ditch all that heavy greasiness that comes with traditional fried food.
These fries start with cool strips of creamy avocado. We coat them in whole-wheat flour before dipping them in eggs and whole-wheat bread crumbs. Then, drizzle them with a little olive oil and into the oven they go. They only need to bake for about 15 minutes until they reach that crispy perfection. Pop them out and finish them off with a little sprinkle of salt. Easy!
Spicy Honey Lime Sauce
These fries are delicious on their own, but serving them with this spicy honey lime sauce really kicks things up a notch. The zesty dipping sauce is the perfect complement to cool and crispy avocado fries.
Tangy Greek yogurt gives this dipping sauce a creamy, healthy base while hot Sriracha heats things up and lime juice adds some zesty flair. Meanwhile, honey adds just a touch of sweetness to this spicy sauce. It all comes together to create a tasty, unique sauce that pairs perfectly with avocado fries.
However, if you’re not a fan of spice, these fries will go just as well with pretty much any of your favorite dipping sauces. Try them with our favorite vegan ranch dressing, honey mustard, or a cool tzatziki sauce. If you’re looking for a go-to sauce that’s skinny and not so spicy, I would also recommend trying these fries with the skinny aioli from our roasted artichoke recipe. It’s a simple sauce sauce but it pairs perfectly with most appetizers (especially the “fried” ones).
These avocado fries make a fun and tasty appetizer to share with friends. If you do happen to keep them all to yourself, we’re not judging! Enjoy!
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pit removed, and sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Place the flour in a small bowl. In a second bowl place the egg, in a third bowl place the panko bread crumbs. Dredge the avocado slices in then flour. Next dip the slices in egg and last coat in panko breadcrumbs. Be sure the avocado slices are coated on all sides.
- Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until the avocados are golden and crispy. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with spicy honey lime sauce on the side.
- Combine all ingredients together, mix well. Serve with cooked avocado fries
Yield: 4 Servings | Serving Size: 1/2 an Avocado, or about 6 fries | Calories: 376 | Total Fat: 26 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Fiber: 10 g | Sugar: 7 g | Protein: 9 g | Cholesterol: 45 mg | Sodium: 502 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11 |
Subscribe to our newsletter for more healthy tips, tricks, and recipes delivered straight to your inbox!