Are you intimidated by fancy-sounding dishes such as Chicken Cordon Bleu? Fear not! This complicated-sounding dish merely consists of chicken breasts, which are stuffed with ham and swiss cheese before being breaded, fried, and topped with a creamy mustard sauce. Luckily, this Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Chowder is even less intimidating. It contains all of the complex flavors of the traditional recipe without any of the fear. As a bonus, you can make this recipe with far less fat and calories than the original!
Tips for Creamy Chowder Without the Cream
Our Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Chowder is made without any of that guilt-inducing heavy cream. You can use any of these tips to achieve chowder’s famously velvety texture.
The easiest way to get creamy soup without any cream is to follow the recipe as-is. By pureeing a portion of the potatoes and other vegetables, you’ll create a natural, creamy thickener for the chowder without diluting its flavor. How easy is that?
The second tip also happens to make this recipe low-carb. Instead of using potatoes, use fresh or frozen cauliflower instead. Then, proceed as normal and puree the cauliflower and vegetables instead of the potatoes. When pureed, the cauliflower will become thick and creamy.
Finally, if you want to turn this into a dairy-free chowder, use coconut cream instead of half and half. Coconut cream is naturally thicker than milk.
There you go! All the decadence of a fancy French dish, in one easy Instant Pot recipe!
Yield: 10 Servings | Serving Size: about 1 cup | Calories: 332 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Carbohydrates: 19 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugar: 3 g | Protein: 38 g | Cholesterol: 111 mg | Sodium: 678 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound low sodium ham, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup half and half (or 1/2 cup coconut cream if dairy free)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup shredded fat-free Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup ready-made croutons, any variety
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Turn on Instant Pot and set to "saute".
- Add olive oil and cubed chicken breast. Saute for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add diced ham, onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, garlic, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Change Instant Pot setting to Manual, High Pressure, and set timer for 30 minutes. Seal cooker.
- While chowder is cooking, mix half and half (or coconut cream if using), with dijon mustard and set aside.
- Allow pressure cooker to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release steam until pressure is completely released.
- Carefully remove lid. Remove 1 cup of vegetables, potatoes and broth and place in a blender or food processor. Add dijon mustard mixture and process until completely smooth.
- Return to chowder and stir until thoroughly incorporated. Stir in shredded cheese, if using. Chowder should have a creamy texture.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with croutons and parsley.
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? Subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on Instagram and Pinterest. You’ll get fantastic healthy recipes along with exercise tips, meal plans and much more!