I love a good corn chowder more than just about anything. It’s a warm, creamy soup fit for all seasons. Sweet, fresh corn makes it a summertime staple, while this rich, warm comfort food is also perfect for crisp fall evenings and chilly winter nights.
But, as the saying goes, everything’s better with bacon, and even the timeless perfection that is corn chowder can’t help but benefit from the addition of some smokey turkey bacon. This Instant Pot Creamy Corn Chowder with Bacon has everything y0u could want in a chowder recipe.
Thick, Creamy, and Clean
I love all kinds of chowders. But when I think chowder, the first thing that comes to mind is thick, creamy, restaurant-style goodness. Unfortunately, those thicker soups tend to be loaded with fat and calories. While those rich, thick chowders always call to me, I almost always end up settling on a healthier, broth-based soup.
However, there are ways to achieve that thick, creamy quality without sacrificing your clean-eating goals. The trick to a creamy soup that won’t throw off your whole calorie budget is to ditch the heavy cream in favor of clean ingredients. This creamy corn chowder recipe gets its thick, rich consistency with the help of fat-free Greek yogurt and just a touch of flour. Stirred into the simmering Instant Pot soup, this recipe thickens into a perfectly clean, creamy chowder.
An All-In-One Instant Pot Recipe
I love adding bacon to recipes. It goes so well with so many of my favorite foods, and can really liven up a soup, salad, sandwich, or anything really. However, pan-frying bacon can be a messy process I like to avoid whenever possible. And even cooking it in the oven often feels like an unnecessary extra step just to add some extra flavor when I’m trying to put a meal together.
This Instant Pot Creamy Corn Chowder with Bacon recipe makes the “with bacon” part easy, because you can cook the bacon right in the Instant Pot. (Yes, this is just further proof that the Instant Pot is the answer to all of our problems and where has this genius invention been all our lives?)
To make the turkey bacon for this recipe, just place it in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting and cook until golden brown and crispy. When you remove it before sautéing the onion, garlic and jalapeños, be sure to leave some bacon fat in the pot. This adds some extra savory bacon flavor to the rest of the ingredients.
This delicious, creamy soup is the perfect corn chowder recipe. Thick and creamy, yet still healthy, and filled with savory bacon flavor, it has everything you could ask for in this soup for all seasons.
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 333 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 40 g | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 6 g | Protein 13 g | Cholesterol: 23 mg | Sodium: 636 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 6 strips turkey bacon, chopped roughly
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- Place in Instant Pot on the saute setting. Add the bacon and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove the bacon and set on a paper towel, leave an bacon fat in the Instant Pot. Add the onion, garlic and jalapenos and cook till the onions just begin to turn translucent.
- Stir in the corn kernels, potatoes, chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Place the lid on to the pot and change the setting to manual with high pressure. Set the timer for 15 minutes. After the time is up manually release the pressure and remove the lid. Return the Instant Pot to the saute function and bring the soup to a simmer. Whisk together the yogurt and flour. Stir the mixture into the soup. Keep stirring the soup till it comes to a boil. Simmer for 4-5 minutes or until thick, stirring often. Stir in the bacon and ladle into serving bowls. Top with chopped chives.
Sign up for our Newsletter to have more healthy living tips, tricks, and recipes delivered right to your inbox!