Meals that are good for your heart health don’t have to be boring or lacking flavor. Dishes that incorporate heart-healthy fish, whole grains, and fresh vegetables, like this Mediterranean Greek Salmon with Orzo, make eating healthy a pleasure!
One of the best ways to take care of your heart is to follow a Mediterranean style diet. The premise behind this lifestyle is to enjoy foods that combine healthy fats, local seasonal vegetables, and fiber-rich whole grains.
A good heart-healthy meal involves more than just tasty food
First, you “eat with your eyes” before you even pick up your fork. By adding colorful vegetables and varying textures on your plate, you can accomplish this. As a result, you have an interesting meal that keeps your senses actively engaged in your dining experience.
This Greek Salmon Orzo offers a pop of green spinach and red tomatoes, bright yellow lemon, and beautiful pink salmon, so it is not only a feast for your palate, but also for your eyes.
Second, a variety of textures keeps your palate from becoming bored and can help discourage mindless eating. A combination of meatiness from the salmon, chewy bites from the orzo, and the creaminess of the feta creates enough variety to keep things interesting.
Last, but not least, this Mediterranean Greek Salmon with Orzo engages your senses of smell and taste. Savory herbs enhance the salmon, along with the bright “zing” from the lemon zest. Wrap it all up with the tangy saltiness of the feta, and you have a well-balanced, healthy dish.
Yield: 4 Servings | Serving Size: 1 salmon filet and about 1/2 cup orzo | Calories: 347 | Total Fat: 21 | Saturated Fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 13 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 27 g | Cholesterol: 71 mg | Sodium: 733 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 (4 ounces) salmon filets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine lemon zest, dried oregano and olive oil.
- Place salmon portions on the prepared baking and brush olive oil lemon mixture on each.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Cook salmon for 15-20 minutes or until firm and flaky.
- While salmon is cooking, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Stir in the orzo and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Spray a medium sized skillet with non-stick spray and heat on medium heat. Once the pan is hott, add the tomatoes and spinach. Saute for 5 to 10 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Remove for the heat and stir in the orzo.
- Place the cooked orzo and vegetables on a serving plate and the salmon over top. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your in-box? First, subscribe to our newsletter. Then, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest to not only get fantastic healthy recipes, but also to receive exercise tips, meal plans and much more!